But There's Tonnes of Disk Space!
The other day I was migrating a site collection from one machine to another. I had a copy of the source site collection and was ready to restore it on this new machine that another developer had prepped. I created a SharePoint web application at the destination and then proceeded to run the restore command:
After a while I ended up getting some disgruntled feedback from the stsadm tool:
Which was confusing, I made sure there was tonnes of disk space (20 GB free for the restore of a 3 GB site collection) and tried again...it died with the same error. After poking around I noticed something odd after running the following query in the Management Studio:
As it turns out, the database server I was trying to restore the site collection into was running SQL Server Express Edition which has a file size cap of 4 GB. When this "farm" was set up, it was done so with a Basic install which by defaul installs SQL Express and inherits it's limitations. The site collection I was trying to restore was breaking the 4 GB limit and as a result the stsadm tool thought there wasn't any disk space available, when really there was a bunch to be had..
Upgrading SQL Server Express to Developer/Standard/Workstation/Enterprise
As a result I had to upgrade the OFFICESERVERS instance of SQL Server running on that machine from Express to Developer (you can upgrade it to Developer/Standard/Workstation/Enterprise, whatever you have in terms of media/licensing).
This ends up being pretty easy, you simply find the media/installer and run the setup.exe that you normally would but with an added argument of SKUUPGRADE=1.
When the install wizard gives you get a chance, select the OfficeServers instance and upgrade the database engine. If you want a more detailed walkthrough, one is available here. When you're done, run the same SQL query above and the product edition should no longer be Express.
After that small adventure, the restore worked like a charm.
Hope that helps someone.