Today I thought it would be handy to have a machine kicking around that was not a MOSS install. That's right, some stock WSS. It's handy to have the both a WSS and a MOSS instance around so I can quickly compare and contrast the two. Sure enough I install all the dependencies, followed by a WSS with SP1 installation (Basic/Standalone). When I ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard though I got this crazy error!
I dug through the log that gets linked to during a failed configuration (those things are HUGE) and found a stack trace that looked like:
An exception of type System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException was thrown.
Additional exception information: Could not access the Search service configuration database.
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC004122D): Could not access the Search service configuration database.
So it's looking for a Search Configuration database and can't connect...ok that's cool I guess. In the event log (Application) were a BUNCH of errors, but most of them were saying the same thing, "I can't connect to a database!". Here's a sample of an error taken out of the Event Log:
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 10036
Time: 2:55:47 PM
A database error occurred.
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Code: 4060 occurred 1 time(s)
Description: Cannot open database "WSS_Search_W2K3-TYLER-WSS" requested by the login. The login failed.
Context: Application 'ca49badb-d82b-42b9-aaa1-ec2c3845c1b3'
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
So I decide to poke around. I install SQL Management Studio Express (free as in beer) on the machine and try to connect to the [ServerName]\OfficeServers edition. Low to my surprise, the WSS SQL Server instance is instead installed as Microsoft##SSEE (you can see this by running the Services Snap-in Start->Run->Services.msc look for SQL Server)! That's a new one. That EE stands for SQL Server Embedded Edition. What's even worse is you can't connect to the Embedded Edition instance via [ServerName]\Microsoft##SSEE. Instead you have to connect via a named pipe. Use the following server name to connect to the SQL Instance.
Finally we're getting close to an answer, essentially the Farm Accounts that need to connect to this database, NT Authority\Network Service and NT Authority\Local Service weren't added as users to this database! This is why the Configuration Wizard is kicking and screaming. It literally could not connect!
So I add the two accounts as dbo (dbowner) to the database instance that the event log was kicking and screaming about trying to connect too. Then we run the configuration wizard again and shazzam, the configuration wizard finished successfully. I guess all those log files actually have some useful information in them after all.
Hope this helps if you end up with a similar error.