An Angry Error
My team has been running Project Server 2007 for quite some time. While it was originally set up to allow project managers to sync their MS Project timelines in one place it eventually became our team portal for storing all team calendar/project/document data.
The problem with this was that there are quite a few WSS/MOSS features that the rest of us wanted to collaborate with that weren't available with the stock Project Server 2007 install.
As such we decided to install MOSS 2007 on the machine. There's pretty good documentation on how to go about doing this. I was walking through the document steps and I ended up installing MOSS which went fine. But when it came time to run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, I ran into this angry error (below) and that's what this blog entry is about.
The solution ended up being quite simple (although exhaustive). I needed to add my credential as a Site Collection Administrator to EVERY site collection in the farm. I'm guessing that during the config process the Wizard tries to walk through all the site collections do setting detection among other things? I know the fix isn't pretty, but it's what got me over the finish line.
In case you forgot how to do this:
- Open up the SharePoint Central Administration site.
- Navigate to Application Management and click on Site collection Administrators.
- From there you set your credential as the Site Collection Administrator for each Site Collection in each Web Application.
- Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard again. You'll probably get prompted as to whether you want to overwrite your default site or simply not create a default site. Afterwards you the wizard should finish properly.
- I'd recommend going through the rest of the TechNet article to ensure that you're following the rest of the right steps, but hopefully you're out of the woods for now.
That's it. Hope she helps.